Blueberry crumb bars are uncomplicated scrumptious and easy on your wallet. They’re excellent for dessert or for an indulgent breakfast treat to get started the day. It just need preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 by 13 inch. Baking pan in a medium bowl with three cups of flour stir in one cup of sugar and one teaspoon of baking powder.
For the crust/crumble mixture
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat, this is a finer ground variety..can also sub all purpose)
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
For the berries
- 2 1/2 cups berries (I used a mixture of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 8×8 glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and coconut oil until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until mixture turns into a dough. Press ⅔ of the mixture into the bottom of the pan to form the crust. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the berries, cornstarch, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Gently stir until mixture is completely combined. Pour berries and their juices over the crust. Smooth out with a spoon or spatula so they’re evenly distributed.
Top with remaining crust/crumble mixture, crumbling it evenly over the berries.
Bake for 25-50 minutes or until crust is golden on the edges. Let cool completely before cutting! Unless you want to serve them warm with vanilla ice cream of course!
Recipes adapted from spicesinmydna